Friday, September 30, 2011

Hash Brown Casserole

This hash brown casserole is the epitome of southern comfort. The ooey, gooey, cheesy, potatoey (yes, potatoey is a word) goodness just seems to wash any and all of the troubles away. Not to say I have troubles but, sometimes stubbing your toe and biting your tongue will be reason enough to make this dish. The previous may, or may not have happened to me. I will never tell.

This recipe is a family favorite. This is a recipe from my Mom and it comes from the depths of her recipe box. If that box should go missing one day I will have had nothing to do with it.

First off let me show you the cast of characters.
Frozen hash brown potatoes(cubed), Sour Cream, Butter, Can of Cream of Chicken Soup, Block of Cheddar Cheese, Scallions, Salt and Pepper. You will also need a 9x11 casserole dish.


To make this dish easier I use the casserole dish as the mixing bowl. It saves a bowl that my hubby would have had to have cleaned:) See I always think of him when I cook.


Start by putting sour cream, cream of chicken soup, scallions, salt and pepper into the casserole dish.



Mix it together and add the half and half. It will look like this:



Now that it is mixed together throw in the hash browns and 2 cups of cheese. Mixing it will be a little tricky but if you make a mess I promise I won't tell.

Make sure after you mix it pat it down and make it as even as possible.

Now we move onto the fun part. Muaaahhh (insert evil laugh) Just kidding.

Take that stick of COLD butter and slice it into tabs. Yes, I put COLD in caps. I want to reiterate that the butter needs to be COLD to make this next part easier. I did not do this and ended up with smushy butter tabs.

Take each tab and poke it into the casserole. Try your best to distribute it evenly into the casserole.
If your butter is COLD it will not look smooshy like this. If your butter is smooshy it will be just fine, it will taste the same. So will your fingers for that matter. Cold butter just makes it easier to poke into the casserole.

Now, take that last 1/2 a cup of cheddar cheese and sprinkle it across the top.
 

Place the casserole into a 375 degree oven for an hour and twenty minutes. Or until golden brown like THIS:
 
 HALLELUJAH! Golden potato goodness!

**WARNING: This casserole will be VERY HOT when it comes out of the oven! It is hot like LAVA. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes before consuming. I will promise a burned tongue will happen if consuming straight out of the oven. Trust me I have done this more times than I care to remember. I will never admit that it may or may not happen EVERY time I make this casserole.

 I will admit I am a little impatient. I guess that is the first step in the road to recovery.
Hello, my name is Cami and I burned my tongue because I am impatient.
Hi, Cami.

Serve it up and enjoy.
 

This casserole is great the next day reheated! The flavor is sometimes even better the next day. If it makes it to the next day.

Make it today, it will make your tummy happy:)

Hash Brown Casserole
adapted from Mom's recipe

1 package cubed frozen potatoes
1 cup sour cream
1 cup half and half
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 bunch green onions aka scallions diced-white and light green parts only
1 stick(cold) butter-sliced into tabs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 375.
Mix sour cream, half and half, 2 cups cheese, cream of chicken soup, green onions, salt and pepper. Once combined add hash brown potatoes. Smooth out top of casserole and poke in sliced butter into the casserole. Sprinkle reserved 1/2 cup cheese on top.
Place into the oven for 1 hr and 20 minutes or until golden brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment